Red Dot Design Week: honouring the year’s best manufacturers and designers on Instagram
The best products of the year have emerged from more than 6,500 entries. Their makers will be celebrated as part of the Red Dot Design Week from 22 to 26 June 2020 – in a very special way. Throughout the week, the Red Dot Award: Product Design will be offering an exciting programme via its social media channels, with Instagram (@reddotaward_productdesign) at the heart of proceedings. From expert discussions to virtual exhibition tours, the aim is to shine a spotlight on good designs and the creative minds behind them. Each day will be dedicated to a different topic.
Participants from 60 countries entered a record number of more than 6,500 products in this year’s Red Dot Award. Only objects that won over the jurors with their good design quality were selected as award winners by the roughly 40-member Red Dot Jury. Just 76 entries – 1.2% of the products submitted – received the highest distinction in the competition, the Red Dot: Best of the Best. These products will be showcased on the first day of Red Dot Design Week, 22 June. After a welcome address by Red Dot CEO Prof. Dr. Peter Zec, who will open the week in a video streamed live, the audience can look forward to fascinating insights into the judging process. This will take place against the backdrop of a live discussion between Peter Zec and Adriana Monk, jury member and founder of “MONK DESIGN” design studio. Monday’s highlight will be the publication of the online exhibition with detailed information as well as images of all of the award-winning products.
Fiskars is Red Dot: Design Team of the Year 2020
The following days will be just as varied, with Tuesday 23 June devoted entirely to the Fiskars Design Team led by Petteri Masalin, which has been named Red Dot: Design Team of the Year 2020. As part of a live discussion, Peter Zec will speak with Kari Korkman, founder of Helsinki Design Week, to find out why the team from Finland are worthy successors to 2019 title holder Ferrari.
In addition, two expert discussions will debate the outlook for developments in industrial design. In the first discussion, Peter Zec and his co-host Michael Thomson, Red Dot jury member and design strategist, will welcome Flavio Manzoni, Senior Vice President of Design at Ferrari. The guest for the second discussion will be Petteri Masalin, Creative Design Lead at Fiskars. It will conclude with the virtual awarding of the “Radius” trophy. This moment will mark the official announcement of the Fiskars Design Team as the new title holder.
Jean-Claude Biver as laureate of the Red Dot: Personality Prize 2020
As part of the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2020, Jean-Claude Biver will receive the Red Dot: Personality Prize. Wednesday 24 June centres around his unparalleled career. In an expert panel discussion featuring Jean-Claude Biver, Peter Zec and Michael Thomson, the audience will find out more about the entrepreneur’s recipe for success in addition to interesting facts about his professional career.
Winners exhibitions in the Red Dot Design Museum Essen
On Thursday 25 June, Red Dot will introduce its followers to the winners exhibitions “Design on Stage”, “Milestones in Contemporary Design” as well as a special exhibition created by Fiskars. These presentations will be on show in the Red Dot Design Museum Essen from 23 June and will showcase all of the products that were successful in the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2020. The audience can look forward to new types of recordings from the museum – perhaps an unusual perspective or a virtual tour.
Smart and innovative products
The achievements of the winners of the new metacategories “Smart Products” and “Innovative Products” will be celebrated on the final day of Red Dot Design Week, 26 June. Followers will get exclusive insights into the process used to judge the revolutionary products. Furthermore, in a discussion held live with Peter Zec, Red Dot juror and founder of Tatic Designstudio Aleks Tatic will describe his experience of evaluating the products.
Overview of topics and daily highlights
- Monday 22 June – Red Dot: Best of the Best winners
- 12.30 pm: Welcome address by Peter Zec
- Jury film with exclusive insights
- 3.00 pm: Live discussion between Adriana Monk and Peter Zec
- Publication of the online exhibition with all of the winning products
- Tuesday 23 June – Fiskars
- Expert discussion: Flavio Manzoni, Peter Zec and Michael Thomson
- 3.00 pm: Live discussion between Kari Korkman and Peter Zec
- Expert discussion: Petteri Masalin, Peter Zec and Michael Thomson
- Virtual awarding of the “Radius” trophy
- Wednesday 24 June – Jean-Claude Biver
- Details of the entrepreneur’s professional career and recipe for success
- Expert discussion: Jean-Claude Biver, Peter Zec and Michael Thomson
- Thursday 25 June – Winners exhibitions
- 1.00 pm: Welcome address by Peter Zec from the Red Dot Design Museum Essen
- Impressive aerial images of the three exhibitions
- Virtual tour of the exhibition “Milestones in Contemporary Design” with all Red Dot: Best of the Best winners
- Friday 26 June – Smart and innovative products
- Jury film with exclusive insights into judging the new metacategories
- 3.00 pm: Live discussion between Aleks Tatic and Peter Zec
All times are CEST.